In a recent YouTube sensation, two guys set out to prove a point: men and women can’t be just friends. To demonstrate they went out on the Utah State University campus and asked the question, “Can men and women be just friends?”. The hilarity ensues as each woman says “yes” and each man says “no.” If you have not seen the clip you can do so here. (*DISCLAIMER* after 90 seconds the conversation turns away from friendship to hooking up.)
When I previously asked the question what characteristics make up a high quality man and high quality woman, many people answered the question in relationship to the other sex. Manly men were defined as treating women in such and such a way. Impressive women were described as relating to men in this sort of way and not that. It was the relationship between the sexes that produced much of the descriptions of manhood and womanhood.
Digging further along those lines, do you believe men and women can be deep and true friends, yet still just friends?
- If so, why do you believe this? What’s your rationale for holding to this in light of the YouTube video?
- If not, please explain further. Is how you view this similar to the rationale and findings of the YouTube film producers?
For the sake of greater conversation, and opposed to the Utah State University survey, let’s assume that they can. Comment on the following:
- What ought a friendship between a man and a woman look like? What makes up a healthy, caring, and encouraging friendship between a man and a woman?
- How do you believe a man should treat a woman in friendship and what would be attitudes, behaviors, and comments (the A,B,C’s) to avoid?
- And how do you believe a woman should treat a man in friendship and, again, what would be attitudes, behaviors, and comments to avoid?
I’m a believer that your comments hold a valuable key to this conversation. Please, share your thoughts.